An auspicious and beautiful occasion, widely celebrated throughout the year by North Indian married women, Karwa Chauth is celebrated on the 13th of October. Women dress with traditional clothes and apply henna to their palms. They pray for the long-lasting life that their partner. The married women gather together to celebrate the wedding by fasting all day until they can get to see the moon rising and end the fast.
What is Sargi?
The most significant part in Karwa Chauth is sargi. It is the typical food that is prepared by the mother-in-law for her daughter-in-law. It is eaten before the fasting time begins. It is consumed during morning hours in early morning.
As the preparations for Karwa Chauth are underway Don’t forget to include some nutritious foods in your “Sargi Thaali’.
What are healthy food items one could include in the’sargi Thali”?
Because the fast can last over 12 hours or more , it’s vital to select healthy meals which are energy-rich. Choose foods that will give you satisfaction while at the same time aid in sustaining you for longer durations.
- The meal should be accompanied by an alcoholic drink, too. Therefore, drinking plenty of water is equally important. The best beverage is lemonade or coconut water to stay hydrated and restore electrolyte balance” advises Prachi Shah, a clinical dietitian Consultant Nutritionist Co-Founder, Health Habitat.
- There are also healthy smoothies that are satisfying. Smoothies are made of milk with fruit, and the an addition of seeds or nuts. Oil seeds and nuts are powerhouses of nutrition and energy.
- Include citrus fruits in your diet like pomegranate, pineapple, and orange to avoid feeling thirsty all day long. Fruits like citrus are rich in water content and aids in compensating for the body’s depletion of fluids throughout the day,” Says Vaidya Shakuntala Devi.
- Include some nuts that have been soaked like 5-6 almonds, 1 or 2 three or four raisins to provide you with energy for a longer period of time. In dissolving the antinutrient phytates within the seed’s skin and soaking them over night will assist in the absorption of nutrition,” adds Devi.
- Alongside nuts and fruit you can also have an easy and filling meal like vermicelli, vegetable daliya, or vegetable daliya
- “Remember that it’s always better for your meal to contain balanced amounts of protein and complex carbohydrate that will help you stay hydrated all day. Therefore, you can choose to your favorite paneer or vegetable parathas with the curd.” says Shah.
- It is also possible to choose a paneer sabzi that is simple and made with the roti
- “Excessive mithais’ will off course be rich in sugars. Sure, they can give you with energy, but it’ll provide instant energy that will not keep you going for long durations of. Halwa and sweets made of milk should be avoided or be eaten in small portions but the emphasis is on sugar from nature and easy meal plans,” notes Shah.
- Punjabi Sargi ki Thali is a source of Kheer. You could also take a look at drinking a smoothie with fruit,” Devi says. Devi.
- Avoid coffee and tea especially early in the morning
These are only general guidelines and simple Indian choices that can be helpful before you begin your fast. You can choose any kind of healthy, homemade meal and the idea is to ensure that you are drinking enough water and protein during the meal.
Read more The markets in Dussehra spirit